GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- GatorBait.net updates its Top 10 Players ranking at the midseason point.
10. DB Jaylen Watkins (NR) -- Watkins makes the cut here just over Jabari Gorman, who has played equally well in the secondary. The senior defensive back has been more versatile than Gorman, able to slide down to cornerback or nickelback when necessary due to injuries. He's had relatively few coverage busts and has tackled well.
9. RB Mack Brown (-2) -- Brown has run slightly better than Matt Jones to this point, though his yards per carry are slightly lower than Jones'. Still, Brown is seeing the holes better than Jones. Even if he's not playing particularly well, the running back position is important enough to earn him a spot in the ranking.
7. LB Dante Fowler (-4) -- Fowler has shown flashes of brilliance, but he has yet to put together a consistent start-to-finish performance. His biggest plays have been results of protection busts moreso than him just beating his man. Still, he's been productive on the edge.
6. LG Max Garcia (NR) -- Florida's offensive line has been a mess lately, but Garcia has been remarkably consistent for weeks now. The only thing keeping him from being higher on this ranking is that, while he's Florida's best pulling guard and run blocker, the rushing attack is still having trouble running straight up the middle.
5. DL Jonathan Bullard (NR) -- Bullard hasn't been all that productive on the stat sheet, but his ability to slide inside almost full-time after Dominique Easley went down has been impressive. He's playing well enough up front for Florida's defense to hold its own. With better linebacker play, the defense could return to the ranks of the elite, too.
4. WR Solomon Patton (no change) -- We had Patton at No. 4 in our last ranking update through a fourth of the season, and he has done everything he can to justify that ranking. He's by far Florida's most explosive playmaker and has become a reliable weapon on offense.
3. LB Michael Taylor (NR) -- we had major concerns about Taylor's ability to be patient in the run game and stick his gaps, along with questions about his coverage ability. Those are gone midway through the season. He has been Florida's best linebacker and one of the top players on the team.
2. QB Tyler Murphy (NR) -- Murphy shoots to near the top of our ranking due to Jeff Driskel's injury, Murphy's newfound importance to the team, and, well, his excellent play so far. Even with a more average game against LSU, he has proven he can be an efficient player at quarterback.
1. CB Vernon Hargreaves III (+5) -- It seems crazy to put a true freshman atop this ranking, but Hargreaves has been fantastic in the secondary. Even when he gets beat, he generally has good position and he quickly finishes off the play. His consistency earns him the No. 1 spot.
Post-Tennessee Top 10 Player Ranking:
10. S Cody Riggs
9. C Jon Harrison
8. WR Trey Burton
7. RB Mack Brown
6. CB Vernon Hargreaves III
5. WLB Neiron Ball
4. WR Solomon Patton
3. BUCK Dante Fowler
2. SLB Ronald Powell
1. DT Dominique Easley
Already have an account? Sign In